Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Me vs. THE WALL

It all started in January. I had literally been back in China mere minutes and was riding home from the airport when I got the text asking if I would like to train for the Great Wall Half-Marathon (GWM). You know how it is in January...it's a new year, you're all about the goal-setting, making changes, challenging yourself... It's so easy to bite off more than you can chew, wouldn't you agree? But a half-marathon? About 10 years (and 25 pounds) ago my sister suggested we train for a (full) marathon - I was apprehensive but she was persuasive so she, Mike, and I trained and did it. For the record, I loathed every minute of it but it is one of those things that 'wows' people - 1) because the percentage of people who have run a marathon is pretty low and 2) because I don't look like the runner-type. I would be the first to admit wholeheartedly that in fact, I am NOT the runner-type.

But...as my group of expat friends began contemplating this challenge, we discovered that there were a number of us who would only do it if we walked, not ran, the 13.1 miles...and the race was set for May so there was still plenty of time to train... For me personally I thought it may serve as the boost I needed to get in shape, lose some weight, blah, blah, blah...and it would add to my (short) list of accomplishments...AND I would get a girls weekend in Beijing complete with shopping and a meal at The Outback (this is a BIG deal, trust me). So, I have completed the registration, sent my money off, booked hotel and travel, and yes, I have even been training to walk/climb 13.1 miles along the Great Wall.

It has been COLD here. During the long below-freezing stretch of winter, a friend and I would run up and down the stairs in our condo - about seven floors of smooth, evenly laid out steps. This was a mere "step" in the right direction because what we will face in the GWM is over 2,000 rocky, uneven steps. As temperatures have warmed somewhat, we have taken our training to a hill behind our neighborhood. It has just over 2,000 steps that are more like those we'll see race day. Our 4 mile hike over the hill has evolved into 8 miles and even as far as 12.5 miles as we finish the hill and continue our walk down the beach. We joke that if nothing else, our jaws are in stellar condition - not much else to do when you're walking for four straight hours - one foot in front of the other and lots of chatting!

As for the Wall itself, it offers a variety of challenges - the first few miles of the trek will be a steep incline uphill to get to the actual Wall then steps and more steps and walking along the wall itself. The final leg of the race is through a village where the locals will be out cheering for us and we have to watch out for chickens possibly darting out in our path. The race information obviously encourages serious hydration - however in the same paragraph, the bathrooms are referred to as "primitive". Can't imagine having to use a squatter when my legs are jell-o...the girls and I have made a pact to get off the path and make cover for each other if necessary. I, however, may require cover AND a helping hand to get out of squat position! We will achieve (right word?) a new level of intimacy...

As I write this, my stomach is feeling fluttery...we are only 10 days out from race day. Coincidentally, race day, May 15th, will mark one year from when we left the states. And if you're wondering how the fitness/weight loss piece of this journey has gone for me...(insert big sigh here)...I sure wish I had about 30 fewer pounds to hall up the Wall, but it just didn't happen for me. I have no excuse for where I am other than food is my friend (with chocolate, bread, and pasta being my bestest friends - bestest for my taste buds and mood but definitely not friends to my thighs and butt). I just realized that I mentioned dining at The Outback post-race as a major incentive...ugh, I'm hopeless!

Here is the link to the GWM if you want to know more - www.great-wall-marathon.com. A few prayers sent my way would be gratefully accepted. The post-race-post will have pictures that I have taken but here is just a sample...


2 comments:

Noriko Nakada said...

Great post, Geneal, and good luck! Wish I could join you guys on the Wall. Take lots of pics because the ones you posted look incredible.

Karen said...

Wow! What a great experience! We will be thinking of you tomorrow :)