Monday, May 24, 2010

Life in China..One Year Later

It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was reflecting on my first 100 days in China. Now here I am, reflecting on a year's worth of experiences - the joys, the opportunities, the challenges - that have come with expat life. Those of you who know me well, know that I am rather...well...unadventurous. I shy away from the unknown...hesitate to make changes...gravitate toward the safe and familiar. At my core, I am still that person but in many ways I have become someone different. After all, I LIVE IN CHINA!

I have categorized some of my experiences based on proximity...some come with travel but that is only a small part of our adventure. My day to day life is definitely not filled with over-the-top excitement (although if you follow my blog you know that haircuts and produce shopping can induce teeth-clenching, heart-pounding, and prayer-muttering).

For your review and mine, here are some standout items on my list; my life in China...one year later.

Travel Stuff
In the past year I have...

...been to Dandong, China, where we were a stone's throw from North Korea and where we experienced the Great Wall for the first time.
...played tourist in Beijing visiting the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, and Tiananmen Square.
...celebrated Thanksgiving in Shanghai with our expat friends - our family away from family.
...froze in Harbin when we visited the Ice and Snow Festival that so many of us have seen on those forwarded emails or the National Geographic Channel.
...received a hard dose of reality (and history) in Siem Reap, Cambodia where we visited local villages and the temples of Angkor Wat.
...lived like a rock star in Phuket, Thailand - lounging on sandy white beaches, snorkeling in crystal blue water, and touring sea caves by way of kayak.
...trained for and walked a half-marathon ON the Great Wall of China!


Day to Day Life Stuff
In the past year I have...

...learned to enjoy cooking and baking (when someone else preps and cleans, of course).
...served as secretary of the first ever Parent-School Partnership group (think PTO) at our International School.
...played with babies at a local orphanage - some of God's most beautiful handiwork, they are seemingly forgotten treasures.
...learned to speak basic Chinese - "basic" doesn't sound all that impressive but seriously - I NEVER thought I'd have need NOR desire to learn Chinese so "basic" is pretty darn awesome.
...read more than 20 adult books (and by "adult" I mean above a 5th grade level - NOT x-rated!)
...made what I hope are lifelong friends with people from all over the world.
..."played" soccer for the first time on the Moms and Teachers' team - I say "played" in quotes because I mostly run around and try to look like I know what I am doing.
...developed a coffee habit - it's a long, COLD winter! (Don't worry Starbucks! I'm comin' home for my Iced Venti Nonfat Chai! Nothing can take your place!)

What are my plans in the coming year? Hmmm...it will be busy! My mom and sister will visit in the fall - yippee! And we are thinking of spending Thanksgiving in Hong Kong and Chinese New Year in Japan. Mike has committed to doing the Great Wall Half Marathon with me in May 2011. It will be the grand finale of this grand adventure.

Thank you for following our blog in the past year and being a part of this chapter in our lives. There is more to come!

**Check our website periodically for monthly updates and...COMING SOON - a photo slideshow of our first year!

No comments: