Sunday, June 7, 2009

Keeping up with the Fendricks...

I know what you're thinking...a driver, an ayi (maid), blissful unemployment...and no blog updates in weeks!  Truly it's not for lack of trying!  There are just some things we are unable to access here - good TV shows, clean restrooms, Pam cooking spray, Starbucks chai lattes (had to throw that one in), and Blogger. Mike installed some techy-type thing on our computer so now it thinks we are in Lake Tahoe instead of Ch*#@ and we can get to our blog.  

We received our shipment on Friday and after a weekend of work, we are nearly "resettled".  I considered saving some unpacking for the ayi but decided that I would like to put things away the way I want.  We have learned that if you leave anything out, it will get put away but most likely not in a logical or convenient place.  Sunglasses...books...keys...they must all have A PLACE.  If not, have fun looking in every drawer and cabinet.  

As I watched the moving company unload the 62 pieces in our shipment, I realized how ridiculous it was to have so much STUFF.  We have lived in utter cleanliness for the past three weeks with what we could fit into six suitcases and five shipping boxes.  Choosing what to wear was a snap and there was very little to clutter our lives.  I actually feel embarrassed about the sheer volume of what I thought were the things I had to have to live a happy life.  It is a good lesson, I think, and definitely confirmation of how blessed I am.  I am fairly certain that our driver only owns two nice shirts because that is all we have seen him wear and we have seen him every day since we arrived.  I would never want him to see what's in our closet.

The girls are doing well.  They have lots of friends and can run and play every day in our complex.  School has been an adjustment for Erin - she is in a montessori-type preschool and the head teacher speaks a little English and the helper, only Chinese.  She cries a little less each day so I am sure she'll be fully adjusted by next week when school lets out for the summer (ugh). She will be in a full-day Pre-K program next year and we're already working to build that up - I can't deal with tears every day.  Emma is doing great with school which is really fantastic. She was an 'asteroid' in Friday's community time presentation and she had so much fun.  She was thrilled to finally get her scooter in the shipment - now I just have to convince her that she needs to learn to ride her bike!

Michael is keeping busy with work and has dreams of becoming a ping pong player extraordinaire.  I intend to support that dream whole-heartedly :)  He gets a weekly massage right here in Campus Village and is trying to get me to try the hour-long foot massage (which costs about $9US).   I am going to start language lessons on Monday and I am actually quite excited about this - I have renewed motivation for learning the language - I will meet one-on-one with an instructor twice a week for an hour and a half each lesson.  Wish me luck!

Well, that's the update for now.  Please also check out our website - there are new pictures!  web.me.com/fendog.  Now that I can get to the blog, I will try to write at least once a week...check back and keep us in your prayers!  Thinking of you and wishing you well...

2 comments:

The Barrs said...

After reading this, we're going to look again at what we are bringing.....

Andra said...

Good to hear the update Geneal! Give the girls extra hugs from me, I'm so proud of them for trying so hard! Love, Andra