Monday, October 13, 2008

Well, we are mid-way through our house hunting trip and everything is going well. It began a little rough as Super Shuttle was waiting outside our house at 3:40am and I was still in my towel and blow-drying my hair. Now Mike knows it IS possible for me to get dressed in 10.2 seconds! Anyway, the flights were all on time and smooth (agonizingly long, but smooth). I just kept thinking that the next time I have to make this trip, it will be with the kids and will be the beginning of our ultimate adventure...

On Sunday we went out in search of a 'fabric mart' that Mike had heard about. There was floor after floor of every kind of fabric you can imagine and you can literally have just about anything custom made. We will definitely go back to have jackets made - no sense getting them now to take home and pack up later. They will even make beautiful cashmere sweaters in any color or style you want for about $30 (and I am imagining you can negotiate the prices from there). Mike is totally into the "let's have it made" mantra - bedding, sweaters, jackets - I personnally, am a little bit more of the "let's keep it simple" mantra. I don't have to speak Chinese to purchase something off the rack!

On Monday we went with a guide to set up our bank account, visit the "gym club", and check out what will be our zillions of choices for shopping. There are the wet markets which means the local fruits and vegetables sold on the street (best deal for sure - just have to wash everything really well) - you can also by any kind of meat or fish there too but we're going to stick with meat that is refrigerated... Thankfully there are plenty of places that feel like home (minus good air conditioning) for shopping. Yukiko and I are preparing for the major shopping spree we will have to have to get our homes set up!

We will be heading out soon (it is very early Tuesday morning right now) to look at our housing choices. This is what I am most looking forward to. We will also be spending time at the school and seeing what it looks like when things are in full swing. There is lots more to share but it's getting long. I will write later after we have news about our house!

No comments: