Saturday, November 20, 2010

Distractions

So how's this for being easily distracted? I typed in the title of this blog and then got up to go fix myself a cup of coffee...seriously, what is wrong with me? I am determined to sit in this chair until I have completed and posted an entire read-worthy blog. This determination comes in spite of the fact that the girls are busy playing with a friend and it has been almost 48 hours since I have watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy...

To begin, I must apologize for all the times I rolled my eyes in the teacher's lounge when all conversation came to a standstill so that my colleagues could dissect the latest episode of Grey's. I never could commit to watching the weekly show - I think it fell on my karate night for one, and for two - I just couldn't imagine being that obsessive about a TV show. Now I am currently on season three and having to force myself to slow down the viewing because I think I will literally grieve when I am all caught up! The pull to watch - commercial-free, one episode after another - is intense...in some ways I am grateful that I am able to watch without having to wait a week in-between but now I realize how much I missed out because I was not part of the lunchroom chatter... Now, I watch ALONE - sometimes I bore Michael with some crazy emergency room drama or I talk to my girlfriends who were fans before but are not currently caught in the web of McDreamy, McSteamy, and McDrama galore.

The computer is also a source of distraction for me but not because I am emailing long lost friends and family...not because I am spending hours catching up on Facebook....not because I am working on a novel or organizing my life in photos...NO, I spend hours looking at bedroom furniture or remodeling ideas for the kitchen. We may be completing our relocation assignment this summer or we may be completing it next December. We just don't know for sure at the moment. I guess I have been a little homesick because I have been obsessing about what's to come for us. What school the girls will attend, what car I will drive, what color I will paint the bedroom. It's a major distraction...but, it makes me happy and Mike is great about humoring me and joining in the search for the perfect refrigerator.

I wouldn't say part-time work necessarily qualifies as a distraction but more a time-consumer. Since August I have been job sharing a part-time position as an instructional assistant for a first grader at the school. It's only a few mornings a week and it only requires me showing up (no planning, grading, etc.). But the fact is, here in China you can't get much done in a half day so on my non-work days I shop and catch up on things (not my blog obviously) but on phone calls, reading, and Grey's Anatomy. Also, I have added to my resume proofreader/editor...now, if you talk to my mom, she'll tell you I have been in the proofreading/grammar correcting business since I was about six years old. My mom may also tell you that at times this was a gift (in school) as well as a curse (I never missed an opportunity to correct her pronunciation of a word or her incorrect grammar). Anyway, for the past year a fellow expat who is from the Czech Republic has been working on her doctoral dissertation and I have been helping her with her English in all phases of its publication. Most recently, her 157-page draft to be presented this month. I did not edit for content or formatting - just proper English. It was a challenge but I think we were both pleased with the final outcome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I can now buy turkey breast - this is HUGE! Any kind of deli meat has been non-existent here and there are days when all I have wanted was a freakin' turkey sandwich. Now all I need is a good avocado - and by "good" I mean one ripe to perfection and under $8.

Later this week we are off to Hong Kong to celebrate Thanksgiving with our family away from family, the Flennaughs. We will hit Disneyland one day and eat great food every day. I am very excited :)

The girls received their report cards this week and I couldn't be prouder - Emma got her first report card with grades and has all As and one B+ in Science. She has had to work really hard this year - about an hour of homework a night and every weekend. Erin has just taken off and loves to read and write (so much in fact that she has gotten in trouble for writing on walls, on floor mats, in books - never a problem when she was two but now, when she's almost six!). Her teacher also says she has an "aptitude for math". She doesn't get that from me...

Whew! This is a long one! Thanks for hangin' in there! Now I am off to reward myself for finishing what I started...Grey's Anatomy and a turkey sandwich - McYummy!

No comments: