Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mrs. Fendrick was back! If only for a moment...

Yep, I came out of my "temporary retirement" to substitute in a first grade class all last week. There was a definite feeling of belonging...but not really; normal...but strange at the same time. I had never subbed before and never taught any grade lower than third so it was all new to me. There were only 14 students and I loved that they were so diverse. They spoke an incredible variety of languages other than English - French, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, and German - but at that age, their ability to learn languages is remarkable. Kids who started school in August with no English appear as if they've been learning it for years. How I envy that sponge-like brain of theirs! On Friday afternoon we celebrated Valentine's Day with homemade cards and homemade (gasp!) cupcakes. All in all, it was a great week although I was exhausted and left to wonder how I ever "did it all" before...teach full-time, picking up kids, laundry, shopping, cleaning (who am I kidding - I had my mom...if not, my house was a mess and laundry piled up all week!) It was definitely wonderful knowing that my sink full of dishes and my dirty laundry would be all taken care of by the time we got home from school.


1 comment:

Karen said...

First grade'll kill ya... I had one of the really good news club kids in the lab the other day finishing up something at lunch when a kinder class came in and she said, "How many are there?" and I said "23 or 24" and she said, very sincerely and empathetically, "How can you stand it?" and I said, "They're only here for a half hour."