Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just to hold you over...like a snack...

Bu hao yisi...(pronounced "boo how eesa")...it means: sorry...so embarrassed...oops... Bu hao yisi! Can't believe I haven't blogged in so long! I am going to get back on track with sharing the goings on in our world - but not today! Today is just a quick update and next week I will start where I left off (back to Thanksgiving I think!).

Since my last blog in mid-November: it turned cold...we went to Shanghai for Thanksgiving...it got colder...we went to Arizona for Christmas and New Year's...it was a blissful 75 degrees...we came back to China...it has graduated to "freakin' freezing"...and this weekend we are going to the famous Harbin Ice Festival where temps will top out at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. So there you you have it!

Yes, it IS cold, but really, that is not what dominates my every thought - maybe every other thought. Here is a little funny from yesterday morning (a windy, snowy, 16 degree Fahrenheit morning): When I was bundling the girls up for school Erin said, "I just want to wear my coat hat!" So I got out the cute little pink beanie that goes with her coat but..."No! I want my coat hat!" After a moment of confusion, I realized what she meant was HER HOOD. Yes, I still have desert darlings who apparently don't know the word for the hangy-down-head-cover-thing attached to a coat!

Here are a few photos to help you feel the cold...

One of the bus drivers for the school made this adorable snowman - this is quite an achievement considering that the snow is VERY dry - not good for snowballs or snowmen!

This is the day we returned from sunny Arizona - while I was inside putting on my fleece, the girls were thoroughly enjoying the snow.

They put these "windshields" up all over the place to protect the trees...brrr...lots of wind here.

The view from our balcony at the beginning of January. It was the biggest snowfall here in something like 20 years.

No, my daughters are not looking Chinese (yet). Just an image of how the locals bundle up their kids - face masks like this are a must, and they all wear at least two layers of pants (often three - and they are thick and wooly!)

Look closely...this is a winter-equipped motorcycle taxi (aka - suicide on two wheels). Notice the furry seat and the oven mitt-like gloves attached to the handlebars. Believe it or not you can fit a family of four on one of these + the driver!

No comments: